Is Kenneth Faried the Next Ben Wallace?

Charles Barkley, six feet, six inches.
Dennis Rodman, six feet, seven inches.
Charles Oakley, six feet, eight inches.
Ben Wallace, six feet, nine inches.

The best offensive rebounders of the NBA’s last twenty years have this in common: none of them are close to seven feet tall, and none are centers.

Kenneth Faried, six feet, eight inches, power forward.

Consider the Worm, the Round Mound of Rebound, Oaktree, and Big Ben. How did they get to those loose balls that drove opponents insane? What made them so impossible to box out? What rare abilities did they possess which few others possessed? It helps to be strong. Faried can bench press 325 pounds. It helps to have long arms and big hands. Faried measured a 7-foot wingspan at the NBA draft combine in 2011, and a standing reach of 9 feet, higher than many taller draft-hopefuls. It helps to have Rodman’s quick-springs, the ability to jump before others, the instincts to know when to tip the ball to yourself or teammates and when to snatch it yourself. What coaches cannot teach their players: rebounding is equal parts fearlessness, ferocity, insistence, grit, and heart. If you know that the only way you’re touching the ball is to go and get it, you better go and get it. Like Rodman and Ben Wallace before him, Faried has come out of nowhere and grabbed the attention of the NBA through sheer force of will. He has been dubbed “The Man-imal,” because of this tenacity.

Faried even grabs rebounds
on Media Day.
Photo courtesy of John Leyba
The Denver Post

After leading the NBA in offensive rebounding rate last year, despite barely seeing the court in the season’s first month, Faried is gradually improving his post defense and around-the-basket moves. Though awkward with the ball, Farield’s impact is based in hitting the offensive glass. Through the first seven games of the Nuggets season, Faried is the best offensive rebounder in the league. With 5.6 offensive rebounds in 29.4 minutes per game, Faried’s relentlessness is paying off and causing twenty one GMs to shake their heads. Faried, the 22nd overall pick in the 2011 draft, recorded the most rebounds (508) in a single NCAA season since 1974 in his senior year at Morehead State. Despite his collegiate success, Faried waited until the Nuggets took him late in the first round. Now he’s single-handedly turning games around for George Karl while the Wizards wait to see if Jan Vesely or Chris Singleton can contribute anything off the bench. After watching him manhandle the Warriors on Saturday night, the question comes to mind: Is it possible to be both dominant and underappreciated? Kenneth Faried’s performance on Saturday night in Oakland was dominant. Is he underappreciated? His current contract says so. With every team Denver beats this year, the casual NBA fan will begin to know just who this Kenneth is.

Last April, Faried annihilated Golden State for 27 points and 17 rebounds in 24 minutes. When I say annihilated, I mean Faried’s +/- of +33 in 24 minutes was absurd. The Warriors, playing without a legitimate defensive-minded big-man (David Lee and Andris Biedrins), were crushed by 123-84 in that contest.

Last night, with the Nuggets playing their fourth game in five nights, Faried’s boundless energy was ever-present. Despite Oakland being the final stop on a four-game road trip (all wins), Faried finished with nine offensive rebounds and caused numerous, “Fah-REED!” moments of frustration from the Warrior faithful. Carl Landry, the Warriors unsung hero and another member of the league’s most overlooked and underrated players, had another excellent game himself.
A look at their numbers:

With Andrew Bogut on the sidelines, Faried kept the Nuggets in the grind-it-out game through tips, put-backs, and deflections. With his work on the glass, the Nuggets withstood Golden State’s renewed defense and solid offensive nights from David Lee and Carl Landry. The 107-101 double-overtime loss was especially tough for the Warriors to swallow after building a five-point lead with just over a minute left. The Nuggets, buoyed by Faried’s determination, refused to be denied. Faried and Ben Wallace? Big Ben would be proud.

Advertisements
Tagged , , ,

17 thoughts on “Is Kenneth Faried the Next Ben Wallace?

1. Alondriz says:

Ben,J.R. is gone. He doesn’t get along with Karl and he is kind of nuts. Consider him a lot like Rodman talented but with a lot of baaggge. That said he’s an above average player with a low contract, he could definitely help out a team. In fact I’d say Boston would be an alright fit.

2. Stephania says:

This design iis incredible! You most certainly know how
    to keep a reader entertained. Betrween your wit annd your videos, I was almost
    moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job.
    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and moe than that,
    hhow you presented it. Too cool!

3. Hawkee.com says:

Best referred to as Jacuzzi tubs, WHIRLPOOL BATHS are essentially the most important bathtubs in the complete
    world which attracts very consumer and client. The machine was set up quickly and seemed pretty simple but I’m still happy it had
    been done from the pro, you never know.
    This washing machine will give you all in the
    various washing options that you need so that you can maintain your clothes with a brilliant level.
    One with the most frustrating scenarios an individual can go through happens when their
    washing machine is working fine, on the other hand dryer dies with them.

4. Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed
    to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries that
    they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the
    nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side
    effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back
    to get more. Thanks

5. WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for infobae

6. Hello everyone, it’s my first pay a visit at this site, and piece of
    writing is in fact fruitful in support of me, keep up posting such posts.

7. Great goods from you, man. I’ve keep in mind your stuff prior to and
    you are simply extremely excellent. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly
    like what you’re saying and the way by which you are saying it.

You’re making it entertaining and you still care for to stay it smart.
    I cant wait to learn much more from you.
    This is really a tremendous site.

8. Howdy! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you
    if that would be okay. I’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to
    new updates.

9. Howdy are using WordPress for your blog platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any html coding expertise to
    make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

10. www.ask.com says:

Very nice write-up. I definitely appreciate this website.
    Stick with it!

11. This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found
    something that helped me. Thanks!

12. facebook says:

What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found
    It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads.

I am hoping to contribute & assist different users
    like its helped me. Great job. facebook
    facebook
    facebook

13. youtube says:

hello!,I really like your writing so much! percentage we keep in touch extra about
    your article on AOL? I need a specialist in this area to solve my problem.

May be that’s you! Taking a look ahead to see you. . youtube
    youtube
    youtube

14. instagram says:

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was totally right.
    This post actually made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks! instagram
    instagram
    instagram

15. youtube says:

I leave a comment when I like a article on a website or if I have something
    to contribute to the conversation. It is a result of the passion communicated in the
    article I looked at. And on this article Is Kenneth Faried
    the Next Ben Wallace? | The Darko Index. I was excited enough to
    leave a thought 😉 I do have 2 questions for you if it’s
    okay. Could it be only me or does it appear like a few of these responses
    look as if they are written by brain dead individuals?
    😛 And, if you are writing at other online sites,
    I would like to keep up with everything new you have to post.

Could you list every one of all your community sites like your twitter
    feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?. youtube
    youtube
    youtube

16. Click on the bouncer and manually remove every male or femaloe dependinng on the achievement you’re aiming for.Here is colmplete
    LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game Chheat Codes List which can help you unlock all characters to complete
    tthe gane easily. Here you can join in with thousands of other players andd try to win. Just like
    the cheat codes above, these level select codes are entered on the main screen.

17. Latashia says:

Great web site you’ve got here.. It’s difficult
    to find high quality writing like yours these days. I truly appreciate people like you!
    Take care!!