If Doc Rivers leaves the Boston Celtics to become the coach of the Los Angeles Clippers, here’s what has to happen…
1. The Celtics need to relieve themselves of Jason Terry‘s contract and package him in the Clippers deal to free up cap-room.
2. The Celtics need to hire Brian Shaw as their new head coach.
3. The Celtics need to take the $5 million opt-out clause on Paul Pierce‘s contract (which will be brutal news for all genuine Celtics fans).
4. The Celtics need to honor Doc, Pierce and KG (who will be included in the trade and yes, that will also be brutal), with a final send-off of some kind, where they all throw out the first pitch at Fenway.
5. New Celtics center DeAndre Jordan needs to follow Roy Hibbert‘s offseason mixed-martial-arts training regimen and free-throw shooting development.
6. Rajon Rondo needs to sit down with Brian Shaw this summer so the two get to know each other before the season begins.
7. The Celtics might need to draft the best available point guard or scorer, rather than big men Steven Adams or Gorgui Dieng.
8. The free-agent class of 2014 (next summer, not this one) will be the best opportunity for the franchise to reconfigure itself.
9. 2014 unrestricted free-agents: Pau Gasol, Danny Granger, Luol Deng, Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, Andrew Bogut, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Chris Bosh, and Dirk Nowitzki.
10. Danny Granger or Luol Deng would fit nicely alongside the following players:
PG Rondo, SG Bradley/Lee, SF Green, PF Sullinger/Bass, C Jordan/Melo
As mentioned in the comments below, both excellent Celtics bloggers and fans below (Shawn – www.celticstitletown.com and http://lovemyceltics.blogspot.com/) see Josh Smith as a possibility as soon as July.
If Doc Rivers doesn’t become the coach of the Los Angeles Clippers, we’ll see what happens to this roster when the dust settles.