Fine, but Euronapsack!
Okay, enough of my “Euro-isms.” Though global hoops fans may be aware, the Annual EuroBasket Tournament often goes stealthily under the September radars of U.S. sports fans, myself included. This year, things are only mildly different.
I’m 80% invested in the conclusion of the major league baseball season (and the fantasy baseball season), and 10% invested in the opening of the NFL season, now that the fourth and final tennis major (the U.S. Open) has concluded the tennis season. The 2013 Red Sox have seen everything go right, in striking contrast to the dismal 2012 club, bringing much needed optimism to New England sports fans. The 2013 Patriots started their season off on a bizarre foot in the off-season and injuries have ravaged a team that came into the season with a wide array of possible outcomes. October will mean at least one week of Red Sox baseball. Until then, that leaves 10% for EuroBasket.
I know next to nothing about European basketball. After finding that NBA TV was showing the EuroBasket Semifinals and Finals (and setting the DVR), I did a search on the recent results. Here’s what I now know:
- Tony Parker, Nicolas Batum, and Boris Diaw are on France’s roster.
- France recently dispatched Slovenia, 72-62, to advance to the Semifinals, where they will face Spain.
- Slovenia is the host country (Goran Dragic had a big game in the loss).
- Spain’s roster includes Marc Gasol, Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriguez.
- Spain spanked Serbia, 90-60, advancing to face France.
- Croatia beat the Ukraine today, 84-72, advancing to the Semis for the first time in 18 years.
- Italy plays Lithuania tonight in the last quarterfinal.
- A man named Luigi, who is a 6’8″ small forward signed by the Pistons, is playing well for Italy. Luigi Datome.
- Marco Belinelli is also on team Italy.
- Italy is without its injured sharpshooters Gallinari and Bargnani.
If nothing else, the France vs. Spain (Friday early afternoon, NBA TV or ESPN3) game should be worth watching. The championship game will be played on Sunday at 2:50pm EST. (NBA TV or ESPNNews).